Stephen Bilkis
Protecting Your Property and Your Family 800.696.9529 Request A Free Consultation

Bronx Elder Law

Just as important as making a will to set forth who will receive your property upon your death, is planning for how you will manage your affairs as you age. The reality is that as we get older our health often fails and we require an increasing amount of medical care as well as support with everyday living activities such as personal care and finance. Consequently, in addition to making a will, when creating an overall estate plan it is also important to include planning tools that will help ensure that should you become physically incapacitated or mentally incompetent to the point where you cannot communicate your needs or care for yourself, your affairs will be taken care of according to your wishes. The area of law that deals with legal issues related to aging is referred to as elder law and is inextricably related to estate planning. Because of the complexities of elder law as well as estate planning, you should contact a Bronx Elder Law Lawyer experienced with legal issues that are related to aging who will be able to help you understand the documents that you will need to ensure that your long-term personal and financial goals are reached.

  • New York Estate Lawyer
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and New York Probate Lawyer
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and New York Estate Litigation Lawyer
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Estate Lawyer
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Probate Lawyer
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Estate Litigation Lawyer
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Probate Litigation Lawyer
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Estate Administration
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Estate Planning
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Last Will and Testament
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Living Trusts
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Living Will
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Trust
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Trust Administration
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Will
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Wills
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Will Contest
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Will Drafting
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Will Trustee
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Will and Estate
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Will and Trust
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Will and Testament
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Advanced Health Care Directive
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx AHCD
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Attorney-In-Fact
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Conservatorships
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Durable Power of Attorney
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Elder Law
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Fraudulent Transfers
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Heir Finder
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Holographic Will
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Intestate Succession
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Living Trust
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Power of Attorney
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Powers of Attorney
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Revocable Trust
  • New York Estates & Probate Law and Bronx Special Needs Trust

There are several estate planning documents that contemplate your future personal and financial needs and issues that are more likely to develop as you age. For instance, a living will allows you to state your wishes as to what treatments you would or would not like to receive should you become incapacitated and are also terminally ill. Both a health care proxy and a durable power of attorney for finances allow you to authorize a trusted family member or friend to make decisions related to your health care or your finances if you become incapacitated and cannot take care of these matters for yourself. Without a living will, health care proxy, or durable power of attorney for finances, the court may find it necessary to step in and name a conservator to make decisions for you. Making a plan in advance for your long term care will make the transition to assisted living, nursing home or a senior community easier and less of a financial burden. A last will and testament will allow you to pass on your assets to your loved ones in the manner of your choosing.

While many of the concerns that are commonly associated with aging may seem as if they are not applicable to you right now, you should consider planning now, even if you are relatively young. Some of the documents are not only useful for those who are older, but for those of any age who experiences serious medical concerns. In addition, certain types of asset protection plans will not work unless they are put into place years in advance of actually needing the plan.

Living Will

A devastating illness or serious accident can occur at any time. As we age it is more likely that we may suffer from a debilitating illness or accident from which recovery would be difficult. With a living will you can leave details for healthcare professionals and family members as to which types of treatment you agree to have should you end up with a condition that leaves you mentally incompetent and from which you will likely not fully recover.

Living wills detail the type of medical treatment and life-prolonging measures you want or do not want. For example, your living will might specify which if any life-sustaining treatment or measures you want such as CPR, mechanical ventilation, dialysis, or tube-feeding. You can specify your preferences regarding organ donation, such as if you would like your organs or tissue donated, or if you want only certain organs or tissue donated. You can even state the purposes for which you permit your organs or tissue to be used: for transplant, research, education or therapy.

Health care proxy

A health care proxy is a legal document in which you appoint an agent to make health care decisions for you or in the event you cannot. It is distinguishable from a living will in that a health care proxy authorizes an individual to make decisions for you while a living will is a set of instructions for another person such as you health care agent or doctor to follow. Under New York’s Public Health law your agent’s authority to make health care decisions begins when your doctor documents in your medical records that you have lost the capacity to make decisions for yourself. N.Y. PBH. Law § 2983. In other words, your health care agent cannot legally make decisions for you simply because you may be very ill, or because you may be unconscious.

You can give your agent general authority to make health care decisions, or you can be very specific about what authority your agent has. In either case your agent is required to make decisions that are consistent with your wishes even if he or she does not agree with them. Examples of the decisions that you can give your agent the authority to make in your health care proxy include making arrangements for hospital, hospice, psychiatric treatment facility, or nursing home, employ or discharge health care personnel, consent or refuse to consent to treatment, care or procedure. You can also give your agent authority to consent to or refuse consent to life-prolonging treatment such as CPR, artificial respiration, IV or tubal nutrition and hydration, or dialysis. However, before your agent can give authorization to cease life-prolonging treatment a second physician must document that you are incapacitated and cannot make decisions for yourself. N.Y. PBH. Law § 2983 (1)(a)

A health care proxy is flexible such that you can give your agent different authority depending on your condition. For example, you can give one instruction to your agent if you are terminally ill, a second instruction if you are temporarily incapacitated but are expected to fully recover, and a third instruction if you have brain damage that makes you unable to recognize people and there is no hope that your condition will improve.

With a health care proxy you can give your agent the authority to donate your organs or tissue. This means that you can allow your agent to authorize the donation of your organs and tissues without limitation, or you can give more limited authority and specify which organs and tissues you want donated and for what reason.

While your agent's decision will typically be considered final, your family or the health care facility can object to your decision and petition the court to intervene. Your proxy's decision will be put on hold until a judge listens to arguments on both sides and makes a decision.

Deciding who you will name as your health care agent is an important decision, and you should consider only those who your trust and who are mature and responsible. New York law requires that your health care agent be at least 18 years old. The person cannot be your doctor unless your doctor is also your relative. The person cannot be an employee of the facility where you are admitted unless they are also a relative or unless you appointed them before you were admitted. N.Y. PBH. Law § 2981. Other than that, you have great flexibility in your selection. People usually chose their spouse, significant other, adult child, sibling, or a close friend. The person you select should be trustworthy and should know you well. The person should be someone who you know will respect your decisions even if that person does not agree with your decisions. You should discuss it with the person who you plan to name as your agent before you execute the health care proxy to make sure the person you select is comfortable being your agent and to make sure he or she understands your preferences. It is also a good idea to name a second person as your successor agent in case the person who is your first choice is unable to serve as your agent.

Another important consideration is where your agent lives. If you become seriously ill, your agent may need to make immediate decisions for you and may have to continue to make decisions over an extended period of time. This may require him or her to have the ability to make frequent visits to the health care facility. For this reason despite being otherwise the best choice, a person who lives thousands of miles away may not be appropriate to fill the role.

For a health care proxy to be valid you must sign it in the presence of 2 witnesses who also must sign it. Your agent and your successor agent are disqualified from serving as a witness. N.Y. PBH. Law § 2981

Durable Power of Attorney for Finances

A durable power of attorney is similar to a health care proxy in that with it you give another person the authority to act for you while you are incapacitated. Instead of making health care decisions the person you name in the power of attorney, referred to as your agent or attorney-in-fact, will have authority to make financial decisions for you.

It is up to you to decide what authority to give your attorney-in-fact. For financial decisions, you can be very specific as to what authority you chose to give your attorney-in-fact. For example, with a power of attorney for financial matters, you can grant someone the authority to buy or sell real estate, manage your property, manage your brokerage account, pursue claims, manage your bank account, run your small business, buy insurance for you, manage your retirement benefits or military benefits, provide financial support to your spouse and children, or pay your taxes.


A conservatorship is a legal arrangement where someone is appointed to manage the affairs of another person due to physical or mental limitations. In New York a conservatorship is called a guardianship. If a court determines based on a functional assessment that you are unable to take care of your finances or independently perform activities of everyday living, the court may place you in a conservatorship and appointment someone to take care of your affairs for you.

New York policy requires that should a conservatorship be required, the court will look first to close family members to fill the role of conservator, such as your spouse, adult children and siblings. After considering close relatives and other family members, if the court concludes that there are no relatives suitable to fill the role as conservator the court will appoint a non-relative such as a public conservator or a professional conservator.

The conservator will remain in place as long as the court determines that you need someone to handle your affairs. If your medical condition improves enough so that you are able to resume taking care of your affairs, the court will end the conservatorship. NY MHY Law § 81.36. Otherwise, the conservatorships remain in place until you pass away.

A conservator can be appointed to take care of your finances or to take care of your day-to-day well-being and personal needs. In many cases, particularly if you are mentally incapacitated, the court will appoint a conservator to handle both your finances and your well-being. Referred to as a "conservator of the person," a conservator who is appointed to make decisions about personal matters will make decisions about your housing, healthcare, and other aspects of your personal care. If necessary, the conservator may decide that it is in your best interest to live in an assisted living facility or a nursing home. A "conservator of the estate" makes decisions about your finances. He or she will manage your assets, pay your bills, make investments, and collect income. The court will require the conservator of the estate to keep detailed financial records and regularly report to the court about the status of your finances.

Long Term Care Plan

Another important matter to consider is your long-term care. Even if you never become so mentally incapacitated that you require another person to take care of your finances or make health care decisions for you, your health may fail to the extent that you may no longer able to live on your own. You may need to move into an assisted living facility, a nursing home, a senior community, a memory care facility, or a hospice. Your condition may result in your residing in such a place for several years. These facilities have substantial fees, while government aid is available to pay such fees, such aid is need based. Even if your do not have a great deal of assets, you will likely have to deplete those assets before the government will take over paying for your expenses. As a result you will have little money left to use as you choose. However, with careful planning using asset protection tools such as a revocable trust you will be able to receive the care that you need without spending all of your assets.

Last Will and Testament

A last will and testament is the most common estate planning document. It is used to leave your loved ones your property after you pass away. The main advantage of making a will is that a will allows you to control what will happen to your property after your death. You can decide to leave your property to specific family members, or you can leave it to close friends. You can even decide to disinherit someone and include in your will your reasons for doing so. Furthermore, you can control how a beneficiary receives the property. If you have a child who is disabled, with a will you can leave his or her inheritance in a special needs trust. If you want to leave a gift to an institution such as your college or a museum, you can do that. If you have a pet whose care you want to ensure, you can leave the pet so someone you can depend on and set up a pet trust for its care.

If you do not leave a will, instead of the people who you want to receive your property receiving it, people who you do not like or perhaps do not even know may receive your property. Under New York's laws of intestate succession only certain blood relatives in a specific order for priority will be able to receive your property. This could mean that your brother who you have not seen in years could end up receiving a share of your estate. Or the uncle who never liked you may end up receiving all of your property. Another unintended consequence of you not leaving a will is that if you have children who are still minors when you pass away, they may end up being raised by someone who you would not have chosen. If you do not name a guardian in your will the court will name a guardian. The court will first seek a relative who is qualified and willing to serve. If no qualified relative is available, the court may appoint a public guardian.

To learn more about planning for issues that may develop as you age, contact the experienced staff at Stephen Bilkis and Associates. We will help you create essential estate planning documents such as a heath care proxy, durable power of attorney, living will and last will and testament. We have years of experience helping clients develop comprehensive estate plans that are consistent with their individual goals. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your estate plan.

Client Reviews
Mr. Bilkis handled both my father and mother's estate issues through very difficult times he was compassionate kind and understanding. In fact the whole firm showed great empathy. Despite the emotional hard time we were having that quickly and efficiently handle all the matters that were necessary to get us the result we desired. Can't recommend them enough. B.B.